WAPP INTEGRATION AND TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE PROJECT
(Project ID: P 113266)
Grant N°: IDA-H7700
RECRUITMENT OF SENIOR DAM SPECIALIST
(Reference N°: BJ-WAPP-64392-CS-INDV)
- The WEST AFRICAN POWER POOL (WAPP) has received financing from the World Bank toward the cost of the Integration and Technical Assistance Project and intends to apply part of the proceeds for consulting services to be provided by two Panels of Experts (PoEs): (a) Dam Safety Technical Panel and; (b) Social-Environmental Panel.
- The WAPP SG will contract directly each member of the Panels on an individual basis.
- The consulting services (“the Services”) require the expertise of a Senior Dam Specialist to provide an independent and high-level engineering evaluation of Projects as it relates to dam safety. The Senior Dam Specialist will be part of the Dam Safety Technical Panel.
- Members of the PoEs will be requested to provide advisory services and make evaluation and recommendations with the overall purpose of achieving adequacy, efficiency, safety and cost effectiveness of the Project(s) as well as sustainability (including mitigation or compensation of negative environmental, social, and health and safety impacts).
- The WEST AFRICAN POWER POOL now invites eligible individual (“Consultants”) to indicate their interest in providing the Services as Senior Dam Specialist. The Consultants are asked to provide (i) a signed cover letter of interest demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the Services; and (ii) a signed, detailed and updated CV.
- The key requirements for this position are summarized below.
- Professional Experience
- At least an Engineering Degree or Master Level (MSc.);
- At least 20 years of professional experience in the development and implementation of hydropower dam projects and cascade developments, with ideally previous field work experience in Sub-Saharan Africa, and proven track record of project optimization with due consideration to environmental and social issues;
- International experience in at least 5 hydropower projects as key technical staff and/or expert;
- Recognized competences in dam safety and be familiar with WB Operational and Bank Policies (OP/BP) especially on dam safety;
- Expertise covering all aspects of civil engineering, including field investigations, design of dam and water conveyance structures, modeling, and construction planning, knowledge of international standards and best practices by ICOLD, etc.
- Hands-on experience in construction supervision, operation and maintenance of hydropower plants and dam monitoring will also be considered favorably.
- Working knowledge of Electricity Sector and dam safety regulations in Sub-Saharan Africa would be a significant advantage;
- Fluency in English and advanced written and reading skills in French;
- Master of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook etc.);
- Capability to work effectively in a team;
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- The detailed Terms of Reference for the assignment (“Terms of Reference for the Recruitment of Panels of Experts for Dams & Hydropower Projects”- 27 August 2018) can be found at the following WAPP website: http://www.ecowapp.org/en/tenders
- A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the selection method for individual consultant set out in the Bank’s Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants by World Bank Borrowers (January 2011-Revised July 2014).
- The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraph 1.9 of the World Bank’s Guidelines above setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest.
- Further information can be obtained via mail addressed to:
copy to: email@example.com and: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Interested candidates are invited to apply strictly online sending their applications to the following address: email@example.com with copy to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Deadline for receipt of applications is by 30 October, 2018, 13h00 Cotonou time.