Restructuring study of the General Secretariat of the West African Power Pool (WAPP)
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
posted July 25,2022
Funding: Budget of the West African Power Pool (WAPP)
THE STUDY ON RESTRUCTURING OF THE GENERAL SECRETARIAT OF THE WEST AFRICAN POWER POOL(EEEOA/WAPP)
The General Secretariat of the West African Power Pool (WAPP/EEEOA), a specialized institution of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) in the energy sector intends to use part of its budget to make payments for consultancy services for the restructuring study of the General Secretariat of the West African Power Pool (WAPP).
The Consulting Services (Services) relate to a Restructuring Study of the General Secretariat of the West African Power Pool (WAPP).
The main tasks of this study are:
Task 1: Literature Review and Diagnosis
- Analyze the existing legal mandate that established WAPP;
- Analyze the existing governance structure of WAPP and examine the need for restructuring;
- Examine the electricity sector in West Africa through exchanges with some of the main actors with regard to their functioning, their governance and their relations with the WAPP;
- Carry out a review of the literature on the governance and organizational structure of Independent System Operators (ISO) / System and Market Operators (SMO) / Regional Transmission Operators (RTO);
- Carry out a diagnosis of the governance and organizational structure of the ISO/RTO/SMO at each stage of their transformation into their current structure and draw lessons from it;
- Based on international best practice, provide a breakdown of the advantages and disadvantages of each possible governance and organizational structure.
Task 2: WAPP General Secretariat Restructuring Study
- Propose a long-term restructuring plan for the WAPP General Secretariat for the establishment of an independent system and market operator, with sufficient justification;
- Recommend the short and medium term steps to be taken to achieve the long term objective of restructuring the WAPP Secretariat within its mandate;
- Propose a new governance structure of the WAPP Secretariat to be adopted to achieve the autonomy or independence of the system and market operator;
- Propose the organization chart of the new structure with a description of the different entities, their attributions and functioning;
- Examine the method of financing the WAPP General Secretariat and its financial viability;
- Propose a roadmap/action plan for the restructuring of WAPP.
The level of effort required is estimated at 8.4 man-months. The total execution period of the assignment is estimated at 28 weeks. The planned start date of the mission is December 2022.
The detailed Terms of Reference (ToR) for the mission subject of this CEI can be consulted and / or downloaded HERE.
Please note that these ToR are indicative and may change before issuing the “Request for Proposals”.
The WAPP General Secretariat invites firms of eligible Consultants (“Consultants”) to express their interest in providing the Services. Interested Consultants must provide information indicating that they have the required qualifications, relevant experience and capacity to perform the Services. The preselection criteria are:
- Reference of similar services and comparable assignments;
- Experience in studies of organizational change or organizational transformation of companies;
- Experience in studies of organizational reorganization or transformation of multinational companies or international organizations;
- Experience in economic and financial viability studies of companies or organizations
- Experience in the management of electricity markets, preferably regional markets would be an asset;
- Experience of projects carried out in sub-Saharan Africa.
Key experts will not be evaluated at this stage of the shortlisting.
The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to Chapters VII and VIII of the WAPP Contracts Code (adopted on October 21, 2020). The WAPP Procurement Code is posted on the WAPP website (https://www.ecowapp.org/fr/documents/code-des-maches-de-leeeoa)
Consultants may associate with other firms (Joint-Venture) to increase their chances of qualification, but must clearly indicate whether the association is a consortium and/or a subcontractor. In the case of a consortium, all the partners of the association are jointly and severally responsible for the entire execution of the contract if they are selected.
A consultant will be selected in accordance with the Quality and Cost Based Selection (“QCBS”) method set out in the “WAPP Tender Code”.
Further sample information can be obtained at the address below.
cc: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
Expressions of interest in PDF must be submitted exclusively by email in French or English at consultant choice. It is strongly recommended to provide essential information relevant to the application and not to exceed 30 pages. This should be sent not later than October 3, 2022 at 10:00 a.m. local Cotonou time to the secure address: firstname.lastname@example.org
The applications will clearly bear the mention “Study of restructuring of the General Secretariat of the West African Power Pool (WAPP)”
Submission of hardcopies is not permitted and hardcopy submissions will not be opened or evaluated. Any application received by WAPP after the expiry of the deadline for submission of offers indicated above may be rejected. Candidates who wish to participate online in the opening of the events will send a request to the address below no later than September 25, 2022 and the link to connect will be sent to them before the opening of the events: Mr. Mouhamadou S DIEDHIOU: email@example.com
Mr. Mouhamadou S. DIEDHIOU Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Minutes of the opening of expressions of interest received will be sent to all candidates after the opening.