REQUEST FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST
(Consulting Services - Selection of an individual consultant)
Project: REGIONAL EMERGENCY SOLAR POWER INTERVENTION PROJECT- P 179267Project: REGIONAL EMERGENCY SOLAR POWER INTERVENTION PROJECT- P 179267
IDA grant: Grant IDA-E1500
RESIDENT SOCIAL EXPERT FOR THE BENEFIT OF THE WAPP GENERAL SECRETARIAT
The General Secretariat of the West African Power Pool (WAPP) (hereinafter referred to as the “Client”) received a donation from the International Development Association (IDA) (hereinafter referred to as the "fund") and administered by the International Development Association (IDA) (the "Bank") to finance the cost of the Regional Emergency Solar Response Program (Regional Emergency Solar Power Intervention/RESPITE).
The West African Power Pool (WAPP)/ Le Système d'Echanges d'Energie Electrique Ouest Africain (EEEOA) is a specialized institution of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) created in 1999 by a decision of the Conference of Heads of State and Government of ECOWAS countries. The main missions assigned to WAPP include the promotion and development of electrical energy production and transmission infrastructure as well as the regional electricity market.
The WAPP General Secretariat, the Client's executing agency, intends to use part of the RESPITE project funds to make authorized payments under the contract for which this notice of expression of interest is issued.
Consulting Services include the recruitment of resident Social Experts to support the team in charge of implementing the program and the countries directly concerned.
This expert will join the project team within the PIPES Department at WAPP headquarters in Abomey-Calavi (Republic of Benin) and will be placed under the responsibility of its Director.
2. SCOPE OF THE SPECIALIST’S SERVICES
The social specialist will be responsible, without being exhaustive, for the following key tasks:
- Support the WAPP General Secretariat by adequately taking into account social dimensions in project studies;
- Prepare with the environmental expert the terms of reference for studies such as ESIAs and PARs with the environmental expert
- Participate in the consultant selection process
- Supervise the implementation of all recommendations on the social level of the project evaluation documents;
- Supervise the development of Resettlement Policy Frameworks, stakeholder consultation, and ensure the quality of the required reports and supporting documents;
- Carry out regular visits to the project area if necessary;
- Examine reports produced by the Consultants in charge of environmental and social impact studies;
- Ensure compliance of project activities with social safeguards requirements
- Continually assess compliance with the WAPP environmental and social commitment plan (PEES/ESCP).
- Build the RESPITE team’s capabilities in social compliance and risk reduction, and identify additional training needs.
- Serve as an interface between the PAPs and the project
- Carry out any other project tasks relating to social safeguards.
The detailed Terms of Reference for the mission can be viewed and/or downloaded HERE
The WAPP General Secretariat invites eligible individual Consultants to indicate their interest in providing the required Services indicated in the Terms of Reference. Interested Consultants must provide information indicating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the Services by submitting (a) a cover letter and (b) an up-to-date detailed CV.
3. QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
The social Expert must have at least the following qualifications:
- Have a university degree (Master's degree at least) in anthropology, sociology, applied social sciences, environmental sciences or a related discipline;
- Have in-depth knowledge of the guidelines, requirements and procedures of financing agencies regarding environmental and social protection, including the fundamental principles and social standards of the World Bank, the Equator Principles, the African Bank of Development, the European Investment Bank, the Islamic Development Bank, the KfW Fund, the French Development Agency, BOAD, USAID and the UN relating to evictions and displacements caused by Development:
- Have at least 10 years of work experience as a social safeguards specialist on development projects, particularly in countries in the sub-region;
- Have at least three (03) references in social assessments, (03) in the development of Resettlement Plans or Resettlement Policy Frameworks and (02) in travel management and conflict resolution within the framework of development projects (for each reference, specify the tasks to be carried out), as well as experience with projects financed by the World Bank and/or the African Development Bank or any partner with the same standards in terms of safeguarding is an asset;
- Having international or regional experience in coordinating and working with multidisciplinary teams and project stakeholders is desirable,
The Social Expert must be proficient and fluent in English and/or French and have a very good knowledge of the other language.
5. DURATION OF THE MISSION
The Consultant's mission extends from the signing of the contract for a renewable period of one year at the end of which the contract will be extended for two years or until the end of the Program if the Consultant's performance is deemed satisfactory.
The consistency of the Consultant's services will possibly be revised at the end of the first year.
The Specialist's services will be carried out in the premises of the WAPP General Secretariat in Abomey-Calavi (Republic of Benin); the Specialist will be required to travel frequently within the sub-region.
The start of the mission is planned for April 2024.
6. SELECTION METHOD
The Consultant will be selected in accordance with the method of Selection of Individual Consultants by open competition described in the “Procurement Regulations for Borrowers Requesting Investment Project Financing (FPI)” of the World Bank (September 2023 Edition). ).
7. SUBMITTING APPLICATIONS
Application files will be sent exclusively online by email and will bear the words “Application for WAPP Resident Social Expert” in the subject line. They must be sent in either French or English to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The file will include (i) a letter of application as well as (ii) a detailed CV. In particular, relevant references from similar missions carried out must be highlighted and clearly described.
Deadline for receipt of applications: March 4, 2024 at 10:00 a.m., Cotonou local time
Further information can be obtained by sending an email to the address below:
email@example.com; copies: firstname.lastname@example.org and; email@example.com