NOTICE OF INTERNATIONAL RECRUITMENT
POSITION- SECRETARY GENERAL OF WAPP
Open to - ALL ECOWAS Citizens
Location- Abomey-calavi, Republic of Benin
The West African Power Pool (WAPP) is a specialized institution of ECOWAS comprising an association of public utilities and private companies working in the electricity sector in West Africa. It was created by Decision A/DEC.5/12/99 of the Authority of Heads of State and Governments of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS). The Secretariat is based in Abomey-Calavi, Republic of Benin and is headed by a Secretary General.
The Secretary General is the authorizing officer of WAPP.
He provides strategic leadership and managerial direction to the Secretariat and is responsible for project planning and development as well as the development of the electricity market.
Furthermore, with the assistance of the Technical and Financial Partners, he supports capacity building initiatives of member utilities in readiness for the operation of the interconnected systems and the proper functioning of the ECOWAS regional electricity market.
WAPP wishes to recruit a Secretary General to replace the existing one, whose mandate expires in July 2024. The mandate of the new Secretary General shall start in July 2024 and shall be for a period of three years and may be renewed only once, subject to satisfactory performance.
II. Mandate of the Secretary General
Reporting directly to the WAPP Executive Board, the Secretary General:
- Provides managerial and visionary leadership necessary to ensure that priority projects identified and duly approved by the various structures within the sub-region are regularly updated into the Revised ECOWAS Electrification Master Plan.
- Ensures that quality, common operating standards are developed and adopted in the operation of the interconnected networks and that interconnection lines are designed and executed using appropriate technology for efficiency, productivity and commercial viability of the interconnection lines.
- Ensures the phased development of an effective, efficient and liquid electricity market by working on fulfilling the conditions precedent for activating successive phases of the market and promoting the implementation of the ECO WAS Directive C/DIR/2/12/18, on the Securitization of the Cross-border Power Trade under the ECOWAS Regional Electricity Market.
- Ensures effective interface with key stakeholders in order to build positive and lasting relationships among them. These include funding agencies, project partners, WAPP Members, regulatory agencies, national and local authorities among others.
- Ensures that capacity building requirements of members for the operation, maintenance and expansion of the interconnected networks are identified. He must elaborate appropriate capacity building programmes to fill capacity gaps and source funding to implement them.
III. Job Description
- Provide strong visionary, strategic and exemplary leadership in the management of the affairs of WAPP and in the execution of the vision of the organization.
- Pursue the development of WAPP priority projects by seeking funding from TFPs for prefeasibility studies and implementation and put in place the necessary institutional and commercial frameworks for the implementation of the Projects, and monitor the construction of ongoing projects to ensure conformity with WAPP standards and the planned schedule for the execution of projects.
- Ensure that WAPP has strong business and diplomatic networks at various levels of government, ECOWAS Commission and the donor community, and is able to work in collaboration with other power pools, international agencies, governments, national authorities and a wide range of institutions, in order to accomplish its objectives.
- Build a positive organizational image by effectively interfacing with governments, national and local authorities, regulatory agencies, the media, communities and environmental organizations as well as other stakeholders.
- Expand WAPP membership base by engagmg private operators m the electricitysector of West Africa and beyond to sign up.
- Establish plans, budgets, and various planning instruments to ensure the effective allocation of resources as well as facilitate the measurement of results.
- Conduct periodic reviews of operational progress, make mid-course modifications and adjustments where relevant, and implement effective risk management strategies to ensure that the organization remains robust at all times.
- Consolidate W APP's organizational culture, values and reputation with staff, WAPP members, ECOW AS, partners, governments, suppliers, regulatory bodies and other stakeholders.
- Enhance the culture of high performance and efficiency within WAPP by reviewing existing systems, practices, structures and policies and recommend appropriate changes where necessary to inspire a sense of ownership among staff and other stakeholders.
- Direct the day-to-day operation of WAPP and coordinate the activities of the key departments of the organization to ensure effective workflow.
- Conduct a periodic review of the ECO WAS Masterplan (where appropriate), business plans, annual work programmes and budgets, goals, work schedules and progress of work, as well as direct necessary changes to ensure that the mission and goals of WAPP are achieved.
- Ensure that WAPP Organizational Committees are geographically well balanced, and their members are competent professionals capable of contributing positively towards the development of WAPP and its objectives.
- Ensure adherence to anti-corruption and ethical rules of conduct by all staff, contractors, consultants and other agents of the organization by enforcing ethical business practices.
Education: A Masters Degree in Engineering, Business, Economics or related disciplines is required.
Experience: A minimum of fifteen ( 15) years of broad experience in the power or related industry with at least five (5) years in senior management position. Experience serving as chief executive, director general or managing director of an electricity utility could be an advantage. Also, experience in electricity, financial, accounting and human resources, management acquired in a management position within the sub-region could be an advantage.
Language: Fluency in one of the working languages of ECOWAS, English, French or Portuguese (oral and written) and working knowledge of a second ECOWAS official language is required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to operate effectively across organizational boundaries; ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds with respect to diversity.
- Proven effective written and oral presentation skills, particularly ability to effectively interact with the public. donor community, the media, diplomatic missions, government agencies, regulatory institutions, other national utilities, and financial and technical partners.
- Provide strong visionary and exemplary leadership in the management of WAPP affairs and be proactive in developing strategies to accomplish WAPP objectives to realize its vision.
- Provide excellent organizational and project management skills. and proven ability to work with others to manage and resolve complex organizational issues.
- Demonstrate analytical problem solving and decision making and proven ability to plan, organize and work in an independent manner.
- Keep abreast with available technology. understand and apply technology to work of
VI. Application should comprise:
- Application letter
- A detailed Curriculum vitae
- Certified copies of academic qualifications and work attestations and/or certificates
- Copy of the national ID card or passport
VII. Mode of Application:
- Applications shall be accepted beginning 6th December 2023 and closing on 5thFebruary 2023 at 17.00hrs Benin time (GMT + 1).
- Online applications should be submitted to:
- Paper applications should be submitted to:
West African Power Pool (WAPP)
06 BP 2907
Abomey-Calavi, next to the Training Center ofCEB
Republic of Benin