REQUEST FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST
(CONSULTING SERVICES – FIRMS SELECTION)
COUNTRY: MULTINATIONAL - WEST AFRICAN POWER POOL (WAPP)
Project ID: P178923
Project: WAPP GHANA-CÔTE D’IVOIRE INTERCONNECTION REINFORCEMENT PROJECT
Assignment title: Feasibility study & line route and environmental and social studies
Reference No: BJ-WAPP-348040
The West African Power Pool (WAPP) Secretariat, a specialized institution of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), headquartered in Cotonou, Republic of Benin, has applied financing from the World Bank toward the cost of the WAPP Ghana-Côte d 'Ivoire Interconnection Reinforcement Project and Operationalization of the ECOWAS Regional Electricity Market, and intends to apply part of the proceeds of the Preparation Project Advance for consulting services.
The consulting services (“the Services”) include an update of the Pre-Investment Studies for the WAPP Ghana-Côte d’Ivoire-Ghana Interconnection Reinforcement Project, a high-voltage (HV) transmission line spanning approximately 246 km and associated substations. The study consists of the following main tasks:
Line Route and ESIA Studies:
- Update of the Line Route Study,
- update the ESIAs, ESMPs RAPs;
- prepare other environmental and social (ES) instruments in accordance with the WB's ESF requirements.
- Conduct the cost/benefit analysis of the 330 kV or 400 kV voltage level of the line to recommend the optimal voltage level.
- Update the Feasibility Study
- Update the bidding documents.
- Analyze potential reinforcement requirements with static and dynamic studies to ensure that the CI-ENERGIES and GRIDCo HV systems will have the wheeling capacity to handle the interconnection's transit in the short and long term.
The level of effort to be provided is estimated at 96 man-months. The total mission execution period is estimated to be 72 weeks after the contract is signed. The mission is expected to start around 4 September 2023.
The detailed Terms of Reference (TOR) for the assignment can be found at the following website: www.ecowapp.org/en/tenders.
Please note that these TOR are indicative and could change before the issuance of the Request for Proposals.
Interested Consultants should note that, a single Consultant will be hired to update the pre-investment studies ((i) feasibility and (ii) line route and ESIA studies and RAPs). However, applicants are required to establish two teams for the two studies with a "Chinese wall" between the two teams to prevent any conflict of interest and to promote a balanced and fully independent analysis and review between the technical aspects, on the one hand, and the environmental and social aspects, on the other. These conditions include, among others, (i) full of both teams (technical and environmental and social independence); (ii) each team manages, prepares, and validates its specific findings independently; and (iii) the establishment of a neutral/balanced overall coordination." The two teams are nevertheless required to work closely together and share baseline data to ensure consistency in all deliverables.
The West African Power Pool (WAPP) Secretariat now invites eligible consulting firms (“Consultants”) to indicate their interest in providing the Services. Interested Consultants should provide information demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the Services.
The shortlisting criteria are:
- Relevant experiences in the preparation of Feasibility Studies for at least 225 kV Transmission Line Interconnection projects that traverse at least two countries;
- Relevant experiences in line route studies of high voltage (at least 225 kV) cross-border interconnection projects covering at least two countries;
- Relevant experiences in the preparation of Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA) Studies, Preparation of Resettlement Action Plans and in the preparation of Environmental & Social Management Plans for Transmission Line Interconnection projects that traverse at least two countries;
- Strong experiences in establishment of commercial framework to operate interconnection lines;
- Knowledge of the Electricity Sector in West Africa and associated environmental and social issues at the country and regional level.
Regarding the references, only previous similar assignments successfully completed in the last ten (10) years will be considered. Ongoing projects will not be considered. The expression of Interest should be no more than 30 pages A4 format.
Consultants should submit their references with details of the effective activities performed, information related to the requirements of the above criteria (countries involved in the interconnection, voltage level) and the dates of the references. Any reference that does not clearly state this information will not be considered. Key Experts will not be evaluated at the shortlisting stage.
The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to Section III, paragraphs, 3.14, 3.16, and 3.17 of the World Bank's “Procurement Regulations for IPF Borrowers” Edition November 2020 (“Procurement Regulations”), setting forth the World Bank's policy on conflict of interest .
Consultants may associate with other firms to enhance their qualifications but should clearly indicate whether the association is in the form of a joint venture and/or a sub-consultancy. In the case of a joint venture, all the partners in the joint venture shall be jointly and liable for the entire contract, if selected.
The Consultants will be selected in accordance with the “Quality and Cost-based Selection” method set out in the Procurement Regulations.
Further information can be obtained via email addressed to:
firstname.lastname@example.org with copy to email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
Expressions of Interest must be submitted in English by April 17, 2023, at the latest 10:00 AM (Benin local time). The application shall be translated into French. In case of discrepancies between the two versions, the English version will prevail.
Expressions of Interest must be submitted on email@example.com with the mention: “EOI for WAPP Ghana-Côte d’Ivoire Interconnection Reinforcement Project”
Hard copies shall not be accepted, and any hard copy sent to the WAPP Secretariat will be rejected. Proposals received by the WAPP after the expiry date indicated above will be rejected.
Applicants wishing to participate in the opening of applications received, which will be hosted online via Microsoft Teams, should send a request to the address: firstname.lastname@example.org no later than April 13, 2023 and the link to join the virtual meeting will be communicated to them.
The Minutes of the opening session of the expressions of interest that were received will be communicated to all applicants immediately after the opening.