12th Session of WAPP General Assembly
WAPP GENERAL ASSEMBLY HELD IN NOVEMBER 2017, IN ACCRA
The West African Power Pool (WAPP) General Secretariat, in collaboration with the Government of the Republic of Ghana and WAPP local member utilities in Ghana such as: Volta River Authority (VRA), Electricity Company of Ghana (ECG), Ghana Grid Company (GRIDCo), Northern Electricity Distribution Company (NEDCO) Ltd, CENIT Energy (CEL) Ltd, Cenpower and Karpowership, organised the Twelfth Session of the WAPP General Assembly, held at Alisa Hotel in Accra, on 3 November 2017.
The purpose of the meeting was, among others, to:
Consider and adopt the report of the 11th Session of the General Assembly, the activity report of the Secretary General, the report of the External Auditor, and the recommendations of the 34th, 35th, 36th, and 37th Ordinary Sessions of the Executive Board.
The opening ceremony was held under the high aegis of His Excellency, Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo, President of the Republic of Ghana.
In his opening speech, the President of the Republic of Ghana confessed that his country was honoured to host the 12th Session of the WAPP General Assembly. He welcomed all the participants who made the journey to Accra to attend the General Assembly to discourse on the implementation of the Regional Electricity Market and subsequently the integration of West Africa. He pointed out that this is the surest way to accelerate the social and economic development of the Region and improve the living standards of the peoples. The President confirmed that WAPP has the capacity and capability of taking up that immense challenge and he therefore encouraged the Organization and its Experts and Technical and Financial Partners to have successful deliberations.
Moreover, as the 2017 Africa Union Gender Champion, His Excellency Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo recalled the Meeting on the importance of women in the energy sector and urged the stakeholders to seize the various opportunities for directly employing women in the electricity sector.
The President also put the emphasis on the improving political environment of West Africa and mentioned the threat of terrorism as a challenge.
Outcome of the Meeting
The following decisions were taken:
- The ECOWAS Revised Master Plan for the Development of Generation and Transmission of Electrical Energy shall include the following :
- Adoption of a 2nd Hydropower Project on the St. Paul River in Liberia as a WAPP Priority Project;
- Adoption of the 330 kV Dawa – Juale – Bolgatanga Transmission Line Project in Ghana as a WAPP Priority Project;
- The WAPP Articles of Agreement shall be amended to include the new attributions of the WAPP Information and Coordination Center (ICC) to enable the ICC to assume the functions of the Regional System Market Operator during the first phase of implementation of the Regional Electricity Market;
- The WAPP Financial Regulations shall be amended to include the reporting of the Internal Auditor to the WAPP General Secretariat;
- The Report of the External Auditor, Afrique Audit & Consulting, on the Financial Statements of the WAPP for the year 2016 was adopted;
- Sunon Asogli Power (Ghana) Limited was accepted as a member of WAPP;
- The Activity Report of the Secretary General for the period from November 2016 to October 2017 was adopted;
- CENIT Energy Limited (CEL) of Ghana, Compagnie Energie Electrique du Togo (CEET), Electricity Distribution and Supply Authority (EDSA) of Sierra Leone were designated as the three rotating members of the Executive Board of WAPP for the period from December 2017 to November 2019;
- The tenure of the Secretary General of WAPP, Mr Siengui Apollinaire KI was renewed.