16th Session of WAPP General Assembly - Opening Ceremony of the WAPP Organizational Committees’ Meetings
The WAPP General Secretariat held the opening of the organizational committees ’meetings on Monday, November 01, 2021, at the Prestige Hotel in Ouagadougou. These meetings are the first series of preparatory meetings organized as part of the 16th Session of the WAPP General Assembly scheduled for Friday, November 05, 2021, at the Lancaster Hotel in OUAGADOUGOU.
In his welcome remark, the Director General of SONABEL, M. BABA AHMED COULIBALY emphasized the importance of the committees to the governance of the WAAP, saying the input from the Committees gives the Executive Board the required details to take informed decisions. The five (5) WAPP Organizational committees are composed of experts from electricity companies of the sub-region supporting the WAPP Secretariat and serving as advisory body to the WAPP Executive Board.
The opening speech was delivered by the WAPP Secretary General, Mr. SIENGUI A. KI, who congratulated the members of the committees for successfully the advancement in the various Projects carried out during the year despite the COVID-19 pandemic.
He particularly mentioned:
- The adoption of an implementation plan for the solar measurement campaign with the 28 sites recommended to house measurement stations in ECOWAS countries;
- The review of the preliminary report of the Regional Network Code;
- The adoption of Regional Electricity Market participation fees;
- The development of System operator secondment guidelines to the WAPP Information and Coordination Center;
- The adoption of the E-Learning strategy and the networking strategy of regional Centers of Excellence;
- The adoption of the Training and Certification Program in Renewable Solar Energy (PFCERS);
- The continuation of pre-investment studies for priority projects under preparation;
- The monitoring of the implementation of ongoing projects, etc.
He ended his speech by wishing the participants excellent working sessions and a pleasant stay in Ouagadougou.
At the end of the opening ceremony, the five organizational committees met individually to take stock of the activities realized during the year 2021 and subsequently draw up a joint report which will be validated by the Executive Board.