Grant No: IDA - D2440
Assignment Title: Optimization Study for the Development of Power Generation in Liberia
Reference N° : MOF-REF-11
The WEST AFRICAN POWER POOL (WAPP) has received financing from the World Bank toward the cost of the Integration and Technical Assistance Project and intends to apply part of the proceeds for consulting services.
The consulting services (“the Services”) include an Optimization Study for the Development of Power Generation in Liberia. The overall objective of the Optimization Study is to identify the Priority Investment Project (PIP) including priority hydropower Projects on the St. Paul River and including production, storage, and transmission.
In order to do so, the optimization study will identify a long-term development plan that will optimize the development of the St. Paul River cascade in the long run, considering market opportunities and developments in the basin since previous studies were undertaken. It will rank potential projects in order of merit in the short, medium and long term and propose a Priority Investment Project (PIP) to be developed within next 5-10 years that will then move into a bankable Feasibility Study (FS) stage.
In specific terms, the Consultant will be requested to mobilize skilled expertise and resources in order to execute all tasks in the following three types of activities: (a) Market Review; (b) Preliminary Assessment of Future Supply Options, and (c) Definition of Long Term Development Plan (LTDP) and the Priority Investment Project (PIP). The contract is expected to be awarded in December 2018. The detailed Terms of Reference (TOR) for the assignment can be found at the following WAPP website: http://www.ecowapp.org/en/tenders
The WEST AFRICAN POWER POOL now invites eligible consulting firms (“Consultants”) to indicate their interest in providing the Services. Interested Consultants should provide information demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the Services. The shortlisting criteria are:
- Knowledge of the Electricity Sector in West Africa and experience in hydropower developments. Familiarity with the WAPP organization, the CLSG interconnection project and the Electricity Sector in Liberia will be an advantage.
- Relevant experience and competences in the development of electricity Master Plans involving mixed supply options including renewable energy (solar) and import-export opportunities.
- Strong expertise and experience in the preparation of hydropower generation projects with emphasis on optimization of cascade development using multi criteria approach, and proven record of successful studies at the preliminary (reconnaissance) and pre-feasibility levels. Previous experience in Sub-Saharan Africa will be considered favorably.
- Availability of staff with strong technical expertise including socio-environmental specialists and staff with proven capabilities in economic evaluations, and capacity to mobilize relevant experts as needed over an estimated period of 5 months starting at end of year 2018.
- Demonstrated interpersonal and communication skills, and fluency in English required (working knowledge of French an asset). The ability to work effectively in challenging environment where the various interests of several stakeholders need to be reconciled would be an asset.
The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraph 1.9 of the World Bank’s Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants by World Bank Borrowers (January 2011- Revised July 2014) (“Consultant Guidelines”), setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest.
Consultants may associate with other firms in the form of a joint venture or a subconsultancy to enhance their qualifications.
A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the “Quality and Cost-based Selection” method set out in the Consultant Guidelines.
Further information can be obtained via mail addressed to:
copy to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Expressions of interest must be delivered in a written form (English) to the address below in person, by October 8th, 2018, 10:00 am Cotonou time (original, 4 hard copies + an electronic version).
West African Power Pool
Attn: Mr. Siengui A. KI, Secretary General
Zone des Ambassades, PK-6
06 BP 2907
Tel: (+229) 21 37 41 95 / (+229) 95 28 46 02
Fax: (+229) 21 37 41 96
Expressions of Interest must be delivered in sealed envelopes bearing the mention: “EOI for Optimization Study for the Development of Electric Generation in Liberia.