REQUEST FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST
TRANSCO CLSG, COTE D’IVOIRE, LIBERIA, SIERRA LEONE, GUINEA
ASSIGNMENT TITLE: RECRUITMENT OF THE TECHNICAL DIRECTOR OF TRANSCO CLSG
EOI Ref No. Staff-O1/04/GMO
Deadline for submission: May 13, 2022
Revised Submission Deadline: May 31, 2022
The Governments of Liberia, Côte d'Ivoire, Sierra Leone and Guinea have received funding from the World Bank, the African Development Bank, the European Investment Bank and the KfW, and also bring the Capital to contribute to the financing of the CLSG Interconnection Project. According to the Financing Arrangements, Governments have slow these funds to TRANSCO CLSG in order to implement the said project. TRANSCO CLSG intends to use part of these funds for the recruitment of a Technical Director.
The Technical Director of TRANSCO CLSG will be responsible for the planning, operation, maintenance, and direction of the TRANSCO Transmission systems as well as planning support services for the electric Distribution system(s) of the national member utilities. This specifically includes providing direction and oversight of the managers of systems planning and transmission, Transmission Operations and maintenance as well as HSE. He/She is also responsible for the development and administration of the Capex budgets of the Commercial Operations department and new projects such as the second circuit of CLSG transmission Line, etc.
The duration of the assignment is for a period of 12 months renewable after a satisfactory evaluation of his/her performance.
Key responsibiliies include the following:
- The main functions of the Technical Director include preparation, coordination, and execution of the programs designed for the outage schedules in order to carry out these programs in complete safety and to deliver the installation in the state desired by the maintenance staff or the network user.
- He/She also ensures that the condition of the assets are effectively monitored, and the assets are properly maintained to meet customer needs and expectations.
- He/She must ensure that maintenance is achieved at minimum cost.
- He/She shall also ensure that a suitable policy on equipment maintenance exists; procedures and checklist for maintenance activities are developed and implemented; and that tools for monitoring and enhancing asset management and guidelines for the equipment maintenance.
- He/She shall ensure adherence to the West African Power Pool requirements for annual studies and data submission, including supporting the Company's Compliance efforts directly related to the ECOWAS Regional Electricity Regulatory Authority (ERERA) Standards.
- He/She may represent the Company as needed/required at various WAPP working groups so that the Company’s interests are presented to other Stakeholders within the planning and ICC processes.
- He/She will lead and manage the team to achieve its objectives, supporting the corporate strategy(ies) which impact the Transmission systems within the WAPP Zones.
- He/She will oversee the development and adherence to O&M budget for the areas of supervision.
- He/She shall ensure that the following activities are implemented throughout the project’s life through: (1) Ensure the application of the Common Operating Protocol included in the TSA; (2) Review and approval of the HSE Plans and Reports prepared by the O&M Operator; (3) Monitoring of the Environmental Management Plan, the Traffic, Access Road and Line corridor Management Plan. (4) Monitoring of the Health, Safety and the Emergency Management Plan.
- He/She shall also make sure that periodic reports prepared on the implementation of HSE plans, awareness on HSE activities; the accident/incident records, and training and capacity programs.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE TECHNICAL DIRECTOR
To ensure that TRANSCO CLSG obtains the best value for money in the operations and maintenance of CLSG network, the Technical Director under the supervision of the General Manager shall:
- be the guarantor of the performance, reliability and consistency of the industrial tools of one or more site(s),
- be the relay for the investment policy decided by the General Management,
- operational implementation of the maintenance and development of facilities,
- supervises the technical teams: recruit, lead, motivate and gain support,
- manage maintenance services, new work, equipment purchases, the design office, general services and the HSE department,
- be a force of proposal with his direction concerning new technical solutions,
- set up and monitor technology watch,
- be the guarantor of the technical feasibility of projects initiated by the company.
- monitor the compliance of the O&M Operator with CLSG Environmental and Social Safeguard standards.
In addition, he/she shall:
- Support the General Manager by providing accurate and up-to-date technical advice on the operation and maintenance activities;
- Ensure appropriate supervision of the technical staff
- For the remaining facilities not yet completed (as the case may be), monitor and report regularly on the status/progress of commissioning schedules, anticipated challenges and risk facing the commissioning timeline as well as the evolution of any contractual issues;
- Conduct coordination meeting with all EPC contractors and Owners Engineer to ensure that commissioning timelines are achieved for the remaining facilities not yet completed;
- Promote team work and a spirit of cooperation among the technical staff and guide, drive and motivates the team to achieve the company's goals.
TRANSCO CLSG now invites eligible applicants ("Individual Candidates") to indicate their interest in providing the services described above. Interested Candidates should provide information demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the services, including CVs, description of similar assignments, experience in similar conditions, etc.
The eligibility criteria, the establishment of the shortlist and the selection process will be consistent with the selection method as described in the "Tender Code" of TRANSCO CLSG.
The requirements are:
- Have a master's degree or above in electrical engineering or equivalent with analytical, quantitative, business, or technical focus. An advance degree in project management or business administration, and from a specialized engineering school would be an additional asset;
- At least fifteen (15) years relevant experience in the energy industry in an operational role for transmission service activities, preferably in large transmission line and substances’ operation and maintenance, and at least five (5) years of Management experience in the same field.
- Proven success in leadership in similar fields (operations, support, energy, technology);
- Deep experience in utility energy efficiency programs, demand response, and distributed energy resources;
- Transmission services, network profiles, load flow, demand side management, congestion management, ancillary management services;
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Suite particularly Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint as well as in the use of O&M software;
- Outstanding interpersonal/negotiation skills, as well as the ability to liaise effectively with Management, senior staff, and staff of operations and support departments.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in both French and English
- Ability to operate as part of a team and as a change agent
- Strong conceptual and organizational skills
- Broad-based exposure to multilateral development bank’s policies and procedures
- Wide-ranging interest in the full scope of policy and operational work
- Keen enthusiasm and a capacity to deal effectively with multiple tasks under tight deadlines
- International experience working in several countries is a plus.
DESIRED/ADDITIONAL SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
- Ability to build and develop effective working relationships, excellent human resource management skills, and good problem-solving skills;
- Resolves situations where stakeholders’ needs are not being met
- Shares past experiences from different projects, organizations, and countries to help achieve quality results
- Provides thorough analysis that includes current and relevant factors from different countries and contexts that enhance decision making
- Is sought for guidance and experience in overcoming the most challenging situations
- Draws on long-term relationships with stakeholders to help plan and achieve results
- Fluency in French and English;
- Independence from governments, regional organizations, power sector utilities, IPPs operating in the region or other bodies with an interest in power trading in the WAPP network.
- Must know how to promote his/her services and defend his/her budget through a quantifiable return on investing;
- Must be able to be in charge of ensuring compliance with health and safety and environmental standards;
- Should know how to use more efficient engineering companies when it comes to maintenance and new work aspects;
- Must develop the concept of service with the operational staff.
Further information can be obtained at the address below during office hours from Monday to Friday between 09:00 AM and 05:00 PM during working days. Or can be obtained upon request, by writing an email to: email@example.com with copy to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com;
Expression of Interest must be submitted by email and delivered by courier service, or email, or in person to the address below by 5:00 PM GMT on May 13, 2022 with the mention “Recruitment of a Technical Director for TRANSCO CLSG”.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The address referred to above is:
The General Manager of TRANSCO CLSG
Cocody II Trays, Angré 7th Tranche
28 BP 633, Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org with mandatory copy to email@example.com; and to: firstname.lastname@example.org;
Phone: +225 05 66 49 61 22 / and 27 22 50 34 80. Fax: +225 27 22 50 34 85