NOTICE TO EXPRESSION OF INTEREST
(Consulting Services - Selection of an Individual Consultant)
Project: Solar Development Project in Sub-Saharan Africa (Phase 1) - P162580
The West African Power Pool (WAPP) was established by the highest decision-making authority of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS). In order to take advantage of the opportunities offered by the commitments made by the Parties at COP 21 and 22 and the clear will of the ECOWAS Member States to reinforce the gradual integration of renewable energy into their energy mix, the ECOWAS Master Plan for the Development of Regional Power Generation and Transmission Infrastructure 2019-2033 was approved and adopted by the ECOWAS Authority of Heads of State and Government in December 2018.
In order to implement this plan, the WAPP Secretariat received a grant from the World Bank through the Sub-Saharan Africa Solar Development Project (Phase 1) for the preparation of regional solar power generation projects, as well as other technical study activities to facilitate the integration of Renewable Energy.
Within the framework of the technical activities of this technical assistance financed by the World Bank, the WAPP Secretariat in charge of implementation wishes to recruit a resident consultant experienced in Renewable Energy, and more particularly in solar energy, who will accompany the team in charge of program implementation and the countries directly concerned by the program.
The Consultant's mission will be to (i) support the team in charge of the execution of technical assistance on the various technical aspects of the various studies relating to the integration of renewable energy; (ii) serve as an interface, if necessary, for the activities of the Information and Coordination Center (ICC) under the program, and; (iii) ensure the coordination of activities with other technical and financial partners in terms of studies and capacity building / training.
The detailed Terms of Reference for the mission can be viewed and / or downloaded here.
Qualification and Competencies of the Consultant
The Consultant shall have the following qualifications, experience and skills:
- Degree in Engineering or Master’s degree, in the Energy field with specialization in Renewable Energy: minimum (5 years university);
- Have at least 10 years of general experience in project management and planning, studies, electrical network design and integration of power generation facilities into the grid;
- At least 5 years of proven experience in the implementation of variable renewable energy projects (particularly solar);
- A knowledge of generating facilities with storage batteries would be an asset;
- To have knowledge of the African energy sector in general, issues and challenges in the integration of variable renewable energy;
- Good knowledge and proven experience of donor procedures and in particular the World Bank would be an asset;
- Master computer tools with proven skills in the use of current Microsoft software (specific competence in the use of Microsoft Project software would be an asset);
- An excellent oral and written command of English or French and a good working knowledge of the other language (an excellent oral and written command of both English and French would be an asset).
The Consultant to be selected will be offered a one (1) year renewable Contract, subject to the outcome of the performance evaluation, availability of funding and program requirements. The duration of the Consultant's assignment is estimated to be at least three (3) years following the end of the program. The Consultant's services will be carried out at the premises of the WAPP Secretariat in Cotonou (Benin).
The WAPP Secretariat invites eligible Consultants to express their interest in providing the required Services indicated in the Terms of Reference. Interested Experts should provide information indicating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the Services by submitting (a) a letter of motivation and (b) a detailed and an updated CV.
The Consultant will be selected in accordance with the method of "Selection of Individual Consultants" described in the "Procurement Rules for Borrowers Seeking Investment Project Financing (IPF)" of the World Bank (July 2016 Edition, revised November 2017 and August 2018).
Submission of Applications
Applications with subject "Solar Parks Project-Application / Renewable Energy Expert" must be sent either in French or English by e-mail exclusively to: email@example.com
Hard copy applications will not be accepted.
Deadline for receipt of applications: 15/7/2020 at 18:00, Cotonou local time (Benin).
Further information can be obtained by sending a message to the email addresses below. Messages should be marked "Application / Renewable Energy Expert" in the subject line.
Copy to: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org