On 14th November, 2022 in Dakar, Senegal, the WAPP Secretariat officially opened its 17th Session of the WAPP General Assembly with the theme: "Development and integration of renewable energy in the ECOWAS regional electricity market."
The official opening was followed by the joint meeting of the WAPP organizational committees and the presentation of the theme for the year. The 17th session organized in the country of Teranga introduced a new format that aims to increase the technical know-how, awareness and build the capacity of stakeholders in the renewable energy projects, investment and technology.
In addition to holding its regular statutory meetings, WAPP invited experienced technical experts from different institutions and regions to this year panel discussions on the sub-theme such as:
- Securing financing for realization of utility-scale renewable energy projects in West Africa
- Challenges and solutions in integrating variable renewable energy into the WAPP power grid.
- Innovation in Gas to Power and Energy Storage for a competitive cost power generation
- Bridging the Green Skills Gap in the Electricity Sector
- Essentials of regulatory functions in securing WAPP electricity Market
As a reminder, the Organizational Committees provide support and advises the WAPP Executive Council on all matters related to the formulation and development of policies, the maintenance and updating of common procedures and operating rules as well as the technical and environmental aspects of the Institution.
There are five of them, and they are named as follows:
- The Engineering and Operations Committee (EOC)
- The Strategic Planning and Environment Committee (SPEC)
- The Finance Committee (FC)
- The Human Resources and Governance Committee (HRGC)
- The Distribution and Commercial Committee (DCC)
The opening of the meeting was attended by the DG SENELEC, Mr. Pape Mademba BITAYE, the DG NAWEC, Mr. Nani JUWARA and the Secretary General of WAPP, Mr. Siengui A. KI.
Experts from the various WAPP member utilities and organizational committees were also present.
Activities for the rest of the week are:
- Tuesday, November 15, 2022, presentation on sub-themes and start of panel discussions;
- Wednesday, November 16, 2022, WAPP Executive Board Meeting and African Power Pools Meeting;
- Thursday, November 17, 2022, WAPP Technical and Financial Partners Coordination Meeting;
- Friday, November 18, 2022, WAPP 17th General Assembly Meeting.