A delegation from the WAPP Secretariat was sent to Cape Town, South Africa, to participate in the 15th Africa Energy Inbada (AEI) Conference, from March 7th to 9th, 2023.
The theme chosen for this 15th edition was “Africa Energy Transitioning to a Sustainable and Prosperous Future”.
This year objective for AEI Conference was to deliberate the theme of the Conference with a view of identifying practical energy infrastructure solutions needed:
- To respond to the Call for Africa to Industrialize as articulated in the African Union’s Agenda 2063 and;
- To address the electricity access challenges facing Africa (over six hundred million people still without access to electricity).
Within the framework of the Theme of the Conference, the AEI Conference focused on:
- African power suppliers,
- renewable and alternative energies,
- legal and regulatory frameworks, and
- investment opportunities in African energy sector.
Key topics surrounding the Theme were also discussed by various panels and interaction with participants were allowed to aid in identifying practical solutions to addressing the electricity sector challenges that are facing the continent.
The WAPP was able to share its project implementation experiences and approaches with participants. Adding to the various qualitative panels, an accompanying exhibition and vital marketplace as a side event for African and international stakeholders seeking to engage in the energy sector partnership was display.