To foster mutual collaboration on Solar energy, the WAPP Secretariat and the International Solar Alliance (ISA) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on Tuesday, the 22nd of March 2022 in Cotonou, Benin.
The MoU establishes a collaborative partnership between the WAPP and ISA to mutually and more effectively exchange knowledge and build capacity of the WAPP member utilities in the field of solar energy to keep pace with the innovative and recent developments in the field of solar energy. The MOU also takes into consideration possible support and collaboration of ISA on the WAPP Regional Solar Parks Projects being executed as part of the WAPP Priority Projects.
The momentous signing ceremony was held in the presence of Mr. Siengui A. KI, the Secretary General of WAPP and Mr. Amit Kaushik the Chief of Program & Projects of ISA as well as other high-ranking staff of both institutions.
Both institutions have agreed to schedule additional consultations to develop details of the cooperation and provide specifics on beneficial activities for the mutual benefits of both institutions.
Both parties jointly agreed to the following major objectives:
- Exchange information for the aggregation of demand for solar applications.
- Jointly prepare and appraise selected solar programs and projects located in the West African region.
- Pitch jointly for mobilization of funding, whenever feasible, for the investment phase of selected programs and projects developed by Parties for the West African region.
- Develop innovative financing instruments for sustainable solar energy and solar hybrid projects.
- Exchange of knowledge and capacity building in the field of solar energy with the West African region.