The 15th session of the WAPP General Assembly themed “building resilience against the effects of Covid-19 while and advancing the realization of the ECOWAS Regional Electricity Market” was held in Lomé, Togo from 7th to 11th December 2020.
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the WAPP organized the 2020 session in a ‘hybrid format’ allowing only the physical presence of members of the WAPP Executive Board while the Experts from the various member utilities participated remotely.
Thus, on 7th and 8th December 2020, the five WAPP Organizational Committees met to take stock of activities realized during the year and set a new outlook for 2021. The WAPP Executive Board met on 9th of December 2020 to review and adopt among others the following:
- Report of the 47th meeting of WAPP Executive Board,
- Status of members contribution to WAPP budget,
- 2020 Activity Report of WAPP Secretary General,
- Report and recommendations of the joint Meeting of WAPP Organizational Committees,
- The Agenda of the 15th Session of WAPP General Assembly.
Similarly, the 35th meeting of the WAPP Technical and Financial Partners (TFPs) was held on Thursday, 10th December 2020. The meeting was chaired by the Togo Energy Director, representing the Honorable Minister Délégué to the President of the Republic in charge of Energy and Mine. The meeting provided the opportunities for the WAPP Secretariat and other Project Implementation Units (PMUs) to provide updates on various Projects and the impart of COVID-19 on its implementation.
The WAPP TFPs renewed their support and commitment to the realization of the WAPP priority projects. Some bilateral discussions on some specific project financing are expected to begin after the holidays.
On Friday the 11th December 2020, Ms. MAWUNYO MILA AZIABLE, the Honorable Minister Délégué to the President of the Republic in charge of Energy and Mines chaired the opening ceremony of the 15th session of the WAPP General Assembly.
The General Assembly, which consist of the Managing Directors and Director Generals of the WAPP members utilities approved the following during its 15th Session:
- Report of the 14th session of the WAPP General Assembly,
- 2019 WAPP Financial statement,
- 2020 Activity Report of the WAPP Secretary General,
- Inclusion of two new members to WAPP (GEREGU Power Plc and BUI Power Authority).
- The 15th session of the General Assembly decided to renew the term of office of the Secretary General for a period of three years beginning in July 2021.