The 11th WAPP General Assembly session was graced by the presence of Prof. Alfa Oumar DISSA, Minister of Energy, Mines and Quarries of Burkina Faso and H.E. Mr. Kadré Désiré OUEDRAOGO, former President of the ECOWAS Commission. The session was declared open by the Minister of Energy, Mines and Quarries.
Ab ignition, the occasion was marked by several speeches respectively delivered by the Managing Director of SONABEL, the WAPP Secretary General, the Resident Representative of the World Bank, the Chairman of the WAPP Executive Board, followed by the ECOWAS Commissioner for Energy and Mines.
The General Assembly considered and adopted:
- The Report of the 10th General Assembly Session;
- The Activity Report of the WAPP Secretary General;
- The Report of WAPP External Auditor;
- The Recommendations of the 3 previous Executive Board Meetings held in 2016.
Prominent amongst the recommendations adopted are those relating to:
- The new composition of the WAPP Executive Board: consisting of 15 members, i.e. 12 permanent and 3 rotating members;
- The conditions for admission of new WAPP Members;
- The definition of the Status of WAPP Observer Member.
The General Assembly also selected the country to host the next General Assembly Session in 2017. Ghana was the country retained as host and the dates for hosting of the event shall be determined by the WAPP Secretariat and the Ghanaian Member Utilities in due course.