NOTICE TO EXPRESSION OF INTEREST
(Consulting Services - Selection of an individual consultant)
Country : Multinational
Project: Solar Development in Sub-Saharan Africa, Project # 1
Ref.: BJ-WAPP- 102168-CS-INDV
The West African Power Pool (WAPP) was established by the highest decision-making authority of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS). In order to take advantage of the opportunities offered by the commitments made by the Parties at COP 21 and 22 and the clear will of the ECOWAS Member States to reinforce the gradual integration of renewable energies into their energy mix, the ECOWAS Master Plan for the Development of the Regional means of production and transmission of electric energy 2019-2033 approved in December 2018. .
For the implementation of this plan, the World Bank has granted funding for technical assistance entitled "Solar Development in Sub-Saharan Africa, Project # 1 Technical Assistance to WAPP" and dedicated to the WAPP General Secretariat for the preparation regional solar power generation projects, as well as other technical studies to facilitate the integration of Renewable Energies.
Within the framework of the capacity building component of the WAPP Secretariat, it is envisaged to recruit a Social Specialist to support WAPP in integrating social aspects in the various studies to be carried out under the technical assistance.
Detailed Terms of Reference for the mission can be viewed and / or downloaded here
Qualifications, experiences and skills of the Expert
The Expert must have the following qualifications, experience and skills:
- Have a university degree (at least Bachelor’s degree + 4) in anthropology, sociology, applied social sciences, environmental sciences or in a related discipline;
- Have a good knowledge of social safeguard policies and land management regulations;
- Have at least 10 years’ experience as a social safeguard specialist on regional development projects;
- Have at least three (03) references in environmental and social assessments; three (03) in RAP or CPR development and two (02) in travel management and conflict resolution in the context of development projects (for each reference, specify the tasks to be performed), as well as the experience with projects financed by the World Bank and/or the African Development Bank or, any partner having the same standards in terms of safeguards is an asset;
- International or regional experience in coordinating and working with multidisciplinary teams and project stakeholders is desirable.
Excellent knowledge of the following relevant areas is required:
- The World Bank best practices and/or guidelines and procedures on social safeguards, social assessment, social analysis, effective stakeholder participation and complaint resolution systems, and the regulations and legal framework governing environmental and social management;
- Structure and organization of environmental protection agencies and other environmental regulatory bodies in the project area;
- Practices and cultures of the communities affected by the project.
Skills and Competences
The following skills are required for the effective performance of the missions carried out:
- Master of computer software (word processing, spreadsheets, project management and the Internet in particular);
- The Social Specialist recruited must be fluent in English and/or French and have a very good knowledge of the other language.
- Excellent analytical and synthesis skills, good dispositions for teamwork and work under pressure, while respecting budgets and deadlines;
- Ability to work in a team, to supervise and motivate a project team. Demonstrated ability to lead operational and analytical tasks Field experience is highly desirable;
- Excellent decision-making skills, ability to take initiative and work independently.
The Consultant's assignment shall extend from the signing of the contract for a period of 120 days for the first year, after which the contract shall be extended for two (2) years or until the end of the Program if the Consultant's performance is deemed satisfactory. The consistency of the Consultant's performance and duration may be reviewed at the end of the first year.
The Consultant's services will be carried out at the WAPP Secretariat premises, in Cotonou, on the basis of a quarterly schedule to be agreed upon.
The WAPP General Secretariat invites eligible Consultants to indicate their interest in providing the Required Services listed in the Terms of Reference. Interested Experts must provide information indicating that they possess the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the Services by submitting for this purpose (a) a letter of motivation and (b) an updated CV.
The Expert will be selected in accordance with the "Selection of Individual Consultants" method described in the World Bank's "Procurement Regulations for Borrowers seeking Investment Project Financing (REITs)" of July 2016, revised in November 2017 and August 2018.
Submission of applications
Candidature files also bearing the subject "Solar Parks Project-Application / Social Specialist" must be sent in English or French by e-mail exclusively to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for receipt of applications: 04/03/2020 at 18:00 local time in Cotonou.
Further information can be obtained by sending an e-mail to the address below with the mention "Project Solar Parks - Candidature / Social Specialist" subject.
Email : email@example.com
cc : firstname.lastname@example.org ; email@example.com