NOTICE TO EXPRESSION OF INTEREST
(Consulting Services - Selection of an individual consultant)
Country : Multinational
Project: Recruitment of an Environmental Expert
The West African Power Pool (WAPP) was established by the highest decision-making authority of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) during the Conference of Heads of State and Government of Member States held in Lomé in December 1999. In order to take advantage of the opportunities offered by the commitments made by the Parties at COP 21 and 22 and the clear will of the ECOWAS Member States to reinforce the gradual integration of renewable energies into their energy mix, the ECOWAS Master Plan for the Development of the Regional means of production and transmission of electric energy 2019-2033 approved in December 2018 by the Heads of State and Government of the ECOWAS member countries, selected a list of priority projects with nearly 70% of renewable energies including 3.5 GW of variable renewable energies.
For the implementation of this plan, the World Bank has granted funding for technical assistance entitled "Solar Development in Sub-Saharan Africa, Project # 1 Technical Assistance to WAPP" and dedicated to the WAPP General Secretariat for the preparation regional solar power generation projects, as well as other technical studies to facilitate the integration of Renewable Energies.
As part of the technical activities of this technical assistance financed by the World Bank, the WAPP General Secretariat in charge of implementation wishes to recruit an experienced Resident Expert in Environmental and Social Impact Studies (ESIA), in Resettlement Action Plan (RAP) and other areas related to the social and natural environment.
The scope of the services of the Resident Expert is mainly to strengthen the ability of the WAPP and its member utilities to carry out ESIA studies of their priority projects in order to ensure the proper execution of such projects by reducing at best potential environmental and social risks and impacts, and / or mitigating or offsetting them according to donor recommendations and international standards, including bonus actions for potential positive impacts.
Detailed Terms of Reference for the mission can be viewed and / or downloaded from the following WAPP website: www.ecowapp.org/tenders
Qualifications, experiences and skills of the Expert
The Expert must have the following qualifications, experience and skills:
- Have a Master's degree or a Diploma of Higher Studies in Environmental Sciences or equivalent.
- Have at least 8 years of experience in developing environmental and social protection policies within ECOWAS and Africa. Previous experiences in the preparation of environmental and social impact assessment studies (including environmental and social management plans, as well as resettlement action plans) as part of energy projects and the implementation of environmental and social management plans and resettlement action plans in the West African sub-region will be considered an asset. The Consultant Expert should have in-depth knowledge of the guidelines, requirements and procedures of funding agencies for environmental and social protection, including the Fundamental Principles and Operational Policies of the World Bank, the Principles of Ecuador, the African Development Bank, the European Investment Bank, the Islamic Development Bank, the KfW Fund, the French Development Agency, BOAD, USAID and the UN related to evictions and displacement caused by development:
- Have proven experience in the preparation of Environmental and Social Impact Assessments, Environmental and Social Management Plans (including HQES aspects, Biodiversity, Climate Change, Crises and Emergencies), and Resettlement Action Plans;
- Have teamwork experience in a multinational and multidisciplinary environment; experience in team supervision will be an advantage;
- Have fluency in English or French with a working knowledge of the other language;
- Knowledge of the Environmental and Social Framework of the World Bank will be an asset.
The Expert's mission extends from signing the contract for a renewable one-year period after which the contract will be extended for two years or until the end of the Program if the performance of the Expert are considered satisfactory. The services of the Expert will be carried out in the premises of the WAPP General Secretariat in Cotonou (Benin).
The WAPP General Secretariat invites eligible Experts to indicate their interest in providing the Required Services listed in the Terms of Reference. Interested Experts must provide information indicating that they possess the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the Services by submitting for this purpose (a) a letter of motivation and (b) a current updated CV.
The Expert will be selected in accordance with the "Selection of Individual Consultants" method described in the World Bank's "Procurement Regulations for Borrowers seeking Investment Project Financing (REITs)" of July 2016, revised in November 2017 and August 2018.
Submission of applications
Candidature files also bearing the subject "Solar Parks Project-Application / Environmentalist Expert" must be sent in English or French by e-mail exclusively to: email@example.com
Deadline for receipt of applications: 23 November 2019 at 18:00 local time in Cotonou
Further information can be obtained by sending an e-mail to the address below with the mention "Project Solar Parks - Candidature / Environmentalist Expert" subject.
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
cc : email@example.com ; firstname.lastname@example.org