(Project ID: P 113266)
Grant N°: IDA-D2440
(Reference N°: BJ-WAPP-64390-CS-INDV)
1.The WEST AFRICAN POWER POOL (WAPP) has received financing from the World Bank toward the cost of the Integration and Technical Assistance Project and intends to apply part of the proceeds for consulting services to be provided by two Panels of Experts (PoEs): (a) Dam Safety Technical Panel and; (b) Social-Environmental Panel.
2. The WAPP SG will contract directly each member of the Panels on an individual basis.
3. The consulting services (“the Services”) require the expertise of a Social Specialist to advise the Client on all aspects of the Project(s) relevant to Environmental and Social issues, including the Environmental and Social Impact Assessments (ESIAs), the Resettlement Action Plans (RAPs), Livelihood Restoration Plans for Project Affected Populations (PAPs), Environmental Flows, need for an Artificial Flood, Water Resources Management Options and impacts of Climate Change on water availability, etc. The Social Specialist will be part of the Social-Environmental Panel.
4. Members of the PoEs will be requested to provide advisory services and make evaluation and recommendations with the overall purpose of achieving adequacy, efficiency, safety and cost effectiveness of the Project(s) as well as sustainability (including mitigation or compensation of negative environmental, social, and health and safety impacts).
5. The WEST AFRICAN POWER POOL now invites eligible individual (“Consultants”) to indicate their interest in providing the Services as Social, Resettlement and Livelihood Restoration Specialist. The Consultants are asked to provide (i) a signed cover letter of interest demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the Services; and (ii) a signed, detailed and updated CV.
6. The key requirements for this position are summarized below.
- At least a Master Level degree (MSc.);
- At least 20 years of international experience in assessment, preparation and implementation of Resettlement Action Plans and monitoring of sensitive and controversial projects with institutional, socioeconomic and cultural issues;
- International experience in at least 5 hydropower projects as key technical staff and/or expert;
- Experience in Africa on 2-3 similar projects;
- Hands on experience in compensation and relocation of population affected by similar projects;
- Working knowledge of WB safeguard policies (especially OP 4.12 on Involuntary Resettlement), rules and guidelines as well as local and international standards for relocating people.
Skills and competencies
- Fluency in English and advanced written and reading skills in French;
- Master of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook etc.);
- Capability to work effectively in a team;
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
7. The detailed Terms of Reference for the assignment (“Terms of Reference for the Recruitment of Panels of Experts for Dams & Hydropower Projects”- 27August 2018) can be found at the following WAPP website:
8. A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the selection method for individual consultant set out in the Bank’s Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants by World Bank Borrowers (January 2011-Revised July 2014).
9.The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraph 1.9 of the World Bank’s Consultant Guidelines above setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest.
10. Further information can be obtained via mail addressed to:
copy to: email@example.com and: firstname.lastname@example.org
11. Interested candidates are invited to apply strictly online sending their applications to the following address: with copy to: email@example.com
12. Deadline for receipt of applications is 30 October 2018, 13h00 Cotonou time.