RECRUITMENT OF A SENIOR ACCOUNT OFFICER
For WAPP-NORTH CORE PROJECT MANAGEMENT UNIT
The objective of the West African Power Pool (WAPP) is to establish a regional electricity market in West Africa through the appropriate development and implementation of key infrastructure so that all ECOWAS member states are given access to economic energy resources.
Within the framework of WAPP, the Governments of Nigeria, Niger, Benin, Togo and Burkina are collaborating to develop in accordance with the ECOWAS Revised Master Plan for the Generation and Transmission of Electrical Energy, and more specifically the related Intergovernmental Protocol among the concerned countries, a sub-regional interconnection project referred to as the 330 kV WAPP North Core Project.
This project comprises approximately 875 km of 330 kV transmission network from Birnin Kebbi in Nigeria to Ouagadougou in Burkina through Zabori and Niamey in Niger with a tee-off at Zabori Substation to the Malanville Substation in Benin as well as associated substations. The ownership and operational responsibility of the infrastructure post-commissioning shall remain with the respective countries.
Due to the regional dimension of the project as well as enhance coordination, the countries involved in the project have agreed to an institutional framework consisting of the establishment of a single entity to implement the project. The Headquarters of the Project Management Unit (PMU) shall be in Abuja, Nigeria, supported by local project units in each country. The project is funded by World Bank (WB), African Development Bank (AfDB) and Agence Française de Développement (AFD) and the functioning of the PMU will be financed by WB and AfDB.
Following the recruitment of the Project Director (PMU Director) and the Project Key Staff (ongoing), the WAPP Secretariat intends to recruit a Senior Account Officer who shall be responsible for all accounting functions for the project in accordance to the best practices and in compliance with the WAPP and Donors guidelines. He / She is specifically responsible for the elaboration of periodic financial statements for each Donor according to its requirements and consolidated financial statement for the whole project.
Senior Account Officer
PMU HQ at Abuja, Nigeria and may be required to undertake frequent field visits
Senior Financial Specialist
Account Assistants (HQ & countries local PMU)
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Financial Specialist and the overall supervision of the project Director the Senior Account Officer is responsible of all accounting functions for the project in accordance to the best practices and in compliance with the WAPP and Donors guidelines. He / She is specifically responsible for the elaboration of periodic financial statements for each Donor according to its requirements and consolidated financial statement for the whole project.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The Senior Account Officer’s key tasks shall include but not limited to:
- Assist in designing and implementing the project chart of account and the staff payroll system
- Assist in configuring the financial and accounting software for the headquarters and countries & fields offices
- Record, update and archive in a secure and organised manner, all financial and accounting documents for the project.
- Manage project’s fixed assets (classify, tag, verify fixed assets and update fixed assets register)
- Allocate disbursement of funds to cost centres
- Record and manage project costs and disbursements
- Reconcile cash books with the bank statements
- Prepare according to the project Donors procedures disbursements requests and direct payments applications
- Prepare according to the project Donors procedures, the replenishment of the project accounts
- Assist in preparing budgets
- Prepare periodic expenditures reports and determine and analyse the variances to the budget
- Review, validate and consolidate the financial records of operations from various sites in countries involved in the project.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly financial statements for each donor the consolidated financial statement of the whole project
- Assist in performance evaluation of the project
- Compile financial information for auditors and Donors supervision missions
- Supervise, assist & train countries local PMU staff
- Carryout other duties as may be assigned
- A Master’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics and other related fields
- Qualification as a professional accountant (CA, ACCA, CIMA, DSCG, DESCOGEF or Equivalent qualification.)
- Membership of an accounting body will be an added advantage
Professional Years’ Experience:
- At least eight years post qualification experience in the accounting field with practice in preparing financial statements and familiarity with external auditors.
- Working experience in a project funded by International Financing Institutions (World Bank, AfDB or AFD) would be an advantage
Adequate knowledge of the following relevant areas is required:
- Corporate or Project accounting and financial policies and procedures
- Procedures and guidelines of International Financing Institutions, in particular, the World Bank (WB), African Development Bank (AfDB) or the Agence Française de Développement (AFD) would be an advantage
- Financial and accounting computerized systems (ERP),
- Budget and Cost control
- Preparation and consolidation of financial statements
- Familiarity with IFRS or IPSAS Standards
- Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
The following skills are needed for an effective performance:
- A proven interpersonal relationship, organizational and team-building and excellent communication skills
- Ability to convey information clearly and concisely
- Self-starter capable of working with minimum supervision and with good initiative
- Ability to complete several varied tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work under pressure and maintain always a professional decorum
- Have a high sense of integrity, objectivity, tact, discretion, confidentiality, and professional ethics
- Ability to adapt and work in a multicultural environment
Oral and editorial proficiency in English or French with a good working knowledge of the other language.
Particular Conditions of Work:
Possible extended working hours including weekends in an occasionally stressful environment
Field missions in the countries involved.
The position is funded within the framework of WAPP North Core Project, for a period of one-year renewable, with a maximum of 4 years corresponding to the end of the project. The incumbent will therefore be issued a Fix-Term Appointment Contract of an initial period of one year. The renewal will be subjected to the successful performance of the incumbent.
Men and Women have equal chances. Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Interested applicants who meet the minimum qualifications for this position must apply online by visiting the following link: http://www.ecowapp.org/careers
- All Applications must be submitted online. Paper applications will not be accepted.
- Applications sent after the required submission deadline will not be considered.
- Due to a large number of applications expected, only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted for the next stage of the recruitment process.
Applications for the position shall be received from 25th January to 28th February included. The Closing date for this position is 28th February 2019 at 06:00 pm, Benin local time (GMT+1).