The West African Power Pool (WAPP) is a Specialized Agency of the Economic Community of West African States, (ECOWAS) established by the Authority of Head of States and Governments of ECOWAS Member States to ensure the integration of the national power system operations into a unified regional electricity market in order to provide the citizens of ECOWAS Member States with a regular, stable and reliable electricity supply at affordable costs, over the medium to long term. This aims to encourage industrialisation, improve Health and Education, Reduce Poverty, Create Employment Opportunities, etc…
The Headquarters of the General Secretariat of WAPP is based in Cotonou, Republic of Benin.
The General Secretariat of WAPP, in view of achieving its global Vision, intends to increase its staffing by filling the following job vacancy:
Department: Administration & Finance
Position Title: Bilingual Secretary
Position Type Local Position
Location: Cotonou, Benin
Reports to: Director of Administration & Finance (DAF)
Within the supervision of the Director of Administration & Finance (DAF), the Bilingual Secretary will provide qualitative assistance to the DAF to ensure smooth, efficient and effective operations for a variety of administrative and secretarial functions of the DAF’s office and the Department of AF as a whole, using his/her academic & professional qualifications as well as French & English language skills.
The Bilingual Secretary reports to the Director of Administration & Finance.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- First source of Information for internal and external enquirers
- Reception of visitors and telephone calls
- Managing the DAF’s diaries
- Format and enhance the quality of written texts
- Handle the Department AF’s incoming and outgoing correspondences
- Proof read and ensure DAF’s outgoing correspondences are error free
- Draft correspondences (Letters, Memos etc) for the DAF and follow-up on reserved matters if required
- Register and classify all invoices submitted to the DAF
- File and Archive departmental Documents
- Help with the organization of the work of the department team
- Manage WAPP stationary store: receive staff requests and issue items. When needed initiate replenishment
- Support the preparation of Department AF’s meetings and if needed WAPP organizational meetings and other meetings in the WAPP
- Draft and/or Translate documents in French or English languages
- Perform any other further duties related to the role of Bilingual Secretary that may be assigned to her/him.
Skills and Knowledge Required
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, both in English and French languages
- Good listening skills
- A friendly and professional telephone manner
- The ability to compose letters on your own intitiative
- Excellent skills in Document Management, Filing and Archiving skills
- Skilful in the use of the techniques and tools for office automation
- Mastery of whole technical and skills of secretariat (Adapt to different inquirers, Draft and Format Documents, Filter and give information, Draft meeting minutes, Manage Document and Databases)
- Good judgement, good initiative, keen sense of responsibility to different cultures
- Close attention to details when drafting or translating documents
- Excellent skills in Document Management, Filing and Archiving
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to plan and prioritize your work load,
- A thorough and methodological approach to given task
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications such as MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook)
- Demonstrated integrity, tact, objectivity, confidentiality and professional ethics.
- A Level Diploma + Degree or Professional qualification in Secretaryship
- Good skills in shorthand and/or typing, detailed knowledge of modern office procedures, ability to work on word processing equipment, good knowledge of administrative drafting and format rules.
Professional Years’ Experience:
- At least six years’ experience in secretarial work.
- An experience in an international organization would be an advantage.
Fluent in English and French
Particular Conditions of Work:
Possible extended working hours
- This position is on Grade G4 or G5 of the WAPP Secretariat Pay Scale. The starting point will depend on the qualifications and experience of the incumbent. The WAPP Secretariat offers a competitive compensation packages comparable to those offered by similar regional/international organizations
Additional Information on the Application
- Applicants must be a WAPP Member State Citizen. WAPP is an equal opportunity employer that offers equal chances to men and women. Qualified women are highly encouraged to apply.
- Interested applicants who meet the minimum qualifications for this position must submit the following or the application will not be considered:
- A Signed Cover Letter (CL)
- A Signed, Detailed and Updated Curriculum Vitae (CV) (Samples of CL and CV are available on the Institution’s Website at: http://www.ecowapp.org)
- Copies of Academic and Training qualifications Degrees or Certificates and Work Experience Certificates or Attestations.
- All Application Files must be submitted electronically by e-mail to: email@example.com. Paper applications will not be accepted.
- Applications sent after the required submission deadline will not be considered.
- Only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted for the next stage of the recruitment process.
Applications for the position shall be received from 07th June 2017 to 05th July 2017 included. The Closing date for this position is 05th July 2017 at 06:00pm, Benin local time (GMT+1).