Terms of Reference and Scope of Services
The West African Power Pool (WAPP) or Système d’Echanges d’Energie Electrique Ouest Africain (EEEOA) was created by the highest decision-making authority of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) at the Conference of Heads of State and Government of the Member States held in Lomé, in December 1999. The Headquarters of the WAPP Secretariat is in Cotonou, Republic of Benin.
The ECOWAS strategic objective being implemented by the West African Power Pool (WAPP) is based on a dynamic vision of integrating national power grids into a unified regional electricity market, so that such a mechanism would, over the medium and long term, ensure to the ECOWAS citizens access to adequate power quality at an affordable price, and enhance the economic development of the Member States including industrialization growth, Health and Education improvement, Poverty Reduction, various Employment Opportunities Creation, etc…
To achieve its vision of operationalizing a unified regional electricity market, the WAPP Information and Coordination Centre (WAPP ICC), a Department within the WAPP Secretariat has been designated to perform the functions of a System Market Operator (SMO) responsible for coordinating the reliability of the WAPP Interconnected Transmission System (WAPPITS) made up of the power systems of fourteen (14) ECOWAS Member Countries and administration of the regional electricity market.
To this end, the WAPP Secretariat with the support of World bank within the Project “WAPP Côte d’Ivoire Interconnection and operationalization of the ECOWAS Regional Electricity Market” intends to reinforce staffing of the ICC Department by filling key various vacant positions including that of a MARKET OPERATOR. The successful candidate will be joining the current team in the Information and Coordination Centre (ICC) as it prepares to operationalize the ECOWAS regional electricity market.
B_PROFILE AND SCOPE OF SERVICES OF THE EXPERT:
The minimum qualifications and the functions of the position are defined hereafter:
INFORMATION AND COORDINATION CENTRE (ICC)
|WAPP Head-office. Calavi, Benin
HEAD OF CUSTOMERS & MARKET DIVISION (CMD)
||Member of the ICC Department Team
The Market Operator is responsible for:
- Following processes to carry out the day-to-day activities of the Market Services and Operations team;
- Identifying and collecting customers’ requests for reporting to the Regulatory Affairs team;
- Other tasks as assigned.
- Registration and withdrawal of market participants;
- Registration and withdrawal of contracts;
- Carry out the day to day activities assigned by the Team Leader;
- Manage and update contractual database in market management applications;
- Review submissions of market offers and bids by market participants;
- Depending on the assigned activities
- deal with customers request
- carry out capacity management processes,
- carry out settlement processes;
- verification of the participants credit and collateral Guarantees.write requirement expectations memo or specifications
7. Collaborate with other ICC Divisions to identify and resolve issues to help create a flexible and efficient organization;
8. Be responsible and accountable for data collection quality, and communication with ICC Customers;
9. Produce daily, monthly quarterly and annually regulatory market reports;
10. Other duties as assigned..
Exercise the following delegated mandate or responsibilities:
- Represent the ICC before external authorities and make relevant representations as requested;
- Work closely with external parties (TSOs, member utilities, regulators, customers, stakeholders, partners, etc.) in developing market system enhancements;
Minimum Qualifications / Skills and Knowledge Required:
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Finance, Analytics, Economics, Law, Business Administration, (Master’s Degree in these fields is an added advantage);
3 years of experience in the related field;
Experience & main skills:
- High level of analytical and synthesis capabilities;
- Good knowledge of the WAPP ICC environment, electricity markets and operations, procedures, policies;
- Good understanding of power systems;
- basic understanding of commercial electricity trade,
- Experience with customer relationships;
- Ability to negotiate and explain WAPP ICC procedures to customers;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Good IT skills
- Good understanding of economic dispatch. Willingness to learn and unit commitment
- Experience with Microsoft Office Tools, Analytics software
- complete training programs as assigned by management.
Experience related to electricity power systems and markets,
Knowledge of WAPP Electricity Market;
Have a good knowledge of accounting procedures.
Sound oral and written communication skills in English or French with a good working knowledge of the other language.
The MARKET OPERATOR 's services includes the preparation and timely submission of quality reports and documents, written in English and/or French as required by the supervisor. He/she will also contribute to the preparation of quarterly and annual reports of the Customers and Market Division and the ICC Department activities.
The duration of the initial Contract extends from the date of signature for a period of two years. On an annual basis, the WAPP Secretariat shall conduct a review of the Consultant’s performance to monitor the continuation of the good and efficient execution of the Contract. At the end of the initial Contract, an extension will be awarded to cover the outstanding execution period of the funding project subjected to the validity timeframe/extension of the funding project with West African Power Pool (WAPP), the availability of funds and the satisfactory appraisal of the Officer’s performance.
The Consultant's services will be carried out at the WAPP Secretariat in Cotonou.
The MARKET OPERATOR will be placed under the functional authority of the Department of Information and Coordination Centre (ICC) of the WAPP Secretariat, during the execution of the assigned mission as presented in the following Structure: