WAPP INTEGRATION AND TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE PROJECT
(Project ID: P 113266)
Grant N°: IDA-H7700
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
(CONSULTING SERVICES – INDIVIDUAL CONSULTANT SELECTION)
RECRUITMENT OF AN ENGINEER GEOLOGIST WITH GEOTECHNICAL EXPERTISE
(Reference N°: BJ-WAPP-64395-CS-INDV)
- The WEST AFRICAN POWER POOL (WAPP) has received financing from the World Bank toward the cost of the Integration and Technical Assistance Project and intends to apply part of the proceeds for consulting services to be provided by two Panels of Experts (PoEs): (a) Dam Safety Technical Panel and; (b) Social-Environmental Panel.
- The WAPP SG will contract directly each member of the Panels on an individual basis.
- The consulting services (“the Services”) require the expertise of an Engineer Geologist with geotechnical expertise to provide an independent and high-level engineering evaluation of Projects as it relates to dam safety. The Engineer Geologist will be part of the Dam Safety Technical Panel.
- Members of the PoEs will be requested to provide advisory services and make evaluation and recommendations with the overall purpose of achieving adequacy, efficiency, safety and cost effectiveness of the Project(s) as well as sustainability (including mitigation or compensation of negative environmental, social and health and safety impacts).
- The WEST AFRICAN POWER POOL now invites eligible individual (“Consultants”) to indicate their interest in providing the Services as Engineer Geologist. The Consultants are asked to provide (i) a signed cover letter of interest demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the Services; and (ii) a signed, detailed and updated CV.
- The key requirements for this position are summarized below.
- At least an Engineering Degree or Master Level (MSc.);
- At least 20 years of professional experience in the design and construction of large dams with ideally working knowledge of conditions prevailing in Sub-Saharan Region;
- International experience in at least 5 hydropower projects as key technical staff and/or expert;
- Expertise covering all aspects of geology and geotechnical engineering, from reconnaissance studies to construction, including field investigations, laboratory testing, design of dams, foundations and underground structures, construction planning, and dam monitoring;
- Hands on experience with dam monitoring instrumentation will be evaluated favorably.
- Fluency in English and advanced written and reading skills in French;
- Master of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook etc.);
- Capability to work effectively in a team;
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
7. The detailed Terms of Reference for the assignment ((“Terms of Reference for the Recruitment of Panels of Experts for Dams & Hydropower Projects”- 27 August 2018) can be found at the following WAPP website:
8. A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the selection method for individual consultant set out in the Bank’s Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants by World Bank Borrowers (January 2011-Revised July 2014).
9. The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraph 1.9 of the World Bank’s Guidelines above setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest.
10.Further information can be obtained via mail addressed to:
copy to: firstname.lastname@example.org and: email@example.com
11. Interested candidates are invited to apply strictly online sending their applications to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org with copy to: email@example.com
12. Deadline for receipt of applications is by September 27, 2018, 12:00 pm Cotonou time.