RECRUITMENT OF A TECHNICAL PROJECT COORDINATOR FOR WAPP SECRETARIAT
FUNDED BY THE WORLD BANK GRANT IDA H770-3A WITHIN THE FRAMEWORK OF THE WAPP INTEGRATION AND TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE PROJECT
The objective of the West African Power Pool (WAPP) is to establish a regional electricity market in West Africa through the appropriate development and implementation of key infrastructure so that all ECOWAS member states are given access to economic energy resources.
Within the framework of WAPP, an electricity Master Plan study was developed in 1999, revised in 2005, and its updated version approved for implementation by the Authority of the ECOWAS Heads of State and Government in February 2012. The outcomes of the approved Master Plan dictate an investment requirement of approximately US$26.416 billion involving the development of among others about 16,000 km of transmission lines, 7,092 MW of Hydropower, and 800 MW of Renewable Energy projects for the period 2012 to 2025. The implementation of these projects shall not only result in a complete integration of all the national power systems of ECOWAS Member States thereby promoting trade, but shall also significantly augment the quantity, quality and access to low cost clean energy resources, which in turn shall support poverty reduction and improve the economic well-being of the ECOWAS citizenry.
The International Development Association (IDA) of the World Bank has granted the West African Power Pool a total of $31.5 million (August 2012) which was increased of $17.5 (December 2017) making a total of $49 equivalent to facilitate the Integration of the WAPP Networks and strengthen the human capacity of the WAPP Secretariat, and intends to apply part of the proceeds of the facility to engage the services of a Technical Project Coordinator to provide Technical Assistance to the WAPP Secretariat.
TECHNICAL PROJECT COORDINATOR
The Technical Project Coordinator shall be responsible for the following but not limited to:
As part of the World Bank's Assistance Programme for the preparation and development of hydropower projects in connection with the CLSG line as well as support to the WAPP General Secretariat for carrying out activities to enable integration of its electrical system, it is expected the recruitment of a Resident Technical Projects Coordinator to strengthen the WAPP General Secretariat capacity, under a contract of Technical Assistant for a period of three (03) years. This Technical Coordinator will provide the necessary technical support to the Implementation Unit of the Assistance Program set up within the WAPP General Secretariat to coordinate all activities of the Program.
The Terms of Reference specify the main services expected from this Coordinator.
- Scope of Services
The Resident Project Technical Coordinator will perform the mission in accordance with internationally recognized practices and, in full compliance with WAPP and World Bank requirements.
As part of the implementation of the Bank's technical assistance program, the Technical Project Coordinator will be in charge of monitoring and technical coordination of the activities of the technical assistance program, including all of the pre-investment studies of the priority projects identified under the program for timely implementation, in accordance with the work program agreed with the Implementation Unit Coordinator of the World Bank Technical Assistance Program for projects in connection with the Planning, Investment Programming and Environmental Safeguard Department (PIPES) of the WAPP General Secretariat and, any other tasks assigned by the Secretariat.
The Terms of Reference formulate the scope of service expected from this Coordinator.
- Job Relationships
The Technical Project Coordinator reports to the Head of Division, Planning, Projects Studies and Financing.
- Job Location
The Technical Project Coordinator will be resident at the head office in Cotonou (Benin) and will travel frequently within the sub-region. The work may occasionally require weekends and/or late nights work.
- Required Qualifications
Engineer's degree or a Master's degree in electrical engineering is required. A Master in Project Management would be an asset. Familiarity or experience in the environmental and social aspects of the projects would also be an added advantage.
Minimum seven (07) years of experience in the field of electrical systems planning and a good knowledge of the procurement procedures of international lenders. The applicant must have:
- The contract position is for a period of three (03) years with a probationary period of one (01) year.
- The remuneration package is very attractive and comparable to those in regional/International Organizations.
- WAPP is an equal opportunity employer that offers equal chances to men and women. Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply. Both internal and external candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Candidates interested by this vacancy are invited to visit the Institution’s website for complete information on the Terms of Reference listing the full background, the duties and responsibilities, the Knowledge, skills and abilities attached to the position: http://www.ecowapp.org/careers
- Interested applicants who meet the minimum qualifications for this position must apply online at http://www.ecowapp.org/careers by following the application instructions.
- Additionally they must upload the following or the application will not be considered:
-A Signed Cover/Motivation Letter
-A Signed, Detailed and Updated Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- All Applications must be submitted online. Paper applications will not be accepted.
- Applications can be submitted in English or French.
- Applications sent after the required submission deadline will not be considered.
- Only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted for the next stage of the recruitment process.
Deadline for applications: 21st January 2018 at 06:00pm, Benin local time (GMT+1).
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to HR: email@example.com