The West African Power Pool (WAPP) is a Specialized Institution of the Economic Community of West African States, (ECOWAS) established by the Authority of Head of States and Governments of ECOWAS Member States to ensure the integration of the national power system operations into a unified regional electricity market in order to provide the citizens of ECOWAS Member States with a regular, stable and reliable electricity supply at affordable costs, over the medium to long term. This aims to encourage industrialisation, improve Health and Education, Reduce Poverty, Create Employment Opportunities, etc…
The Headquarters of the WAPP General Secretariat is based in Cotonou, Republic of Benin.
The WAPP Secretariat, in view of achieving its global Vision, intends to increase its staffing by filling the following job vacancy:
Office of the Secretary General
The Communication Officer supports the office of the Secretary General in its internal and external communications with all stakeholders across a wide range of media (web, print, radio, television etc) to disseminate WAPP's messages, views and positions in order to raise the organization's profile and create greater awareness of the organization and its activities.
The Communnication Officer reports to the WAPP Secretary General.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The Communication Officer’s key tasks shall be:
- Design, develop and implement a communication strategy to promote WAPP in the sub-region and to the donor community;
- Develop communications plans and activities aimed to promoting WAPP and disseminating information about its projects;
- Ensure that the most effective means and tools are used for communicating with the various categories of stakeholders and determine the types of information to be provided to each category;
- Develop communications material (electronic & printed) and produce WAPP’s monthly newsletter,
- Prepare Speeches for the Secretary General,
- Coordinate the preparation of the interim (quarterly and/or semi-annual) and final reports of the Secretary General and write and edit WAPP’s annual report, brochures and website content;
- Increase coverage and understanding of WAPP’s work through developing and maintaining media contacts and providing newsworthy information;
- Design and maintain updated information content on WAPP Website,
- Monitor and publish developments on the energy sector of the sub-region;
- Handle external requests for information;
- Advise the secretary General on Communications issues;
- Prepare press briefings and press releases of the Secretary General,
- Supports and assists other team members,
- Design, maintain and update information content on WAPP Website
- Undertake additional tasks as assigned by the Secretary General.
Minimum Academic and Professional Qualifications Required
- Advance University Degree (B.Sc + Master’s degree or equivalent) in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, Marketing or other related field.
- A first-level university degree (Bachelor’s degree) in the above fields in combination with three additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Specialized courses in Communication would be an asset.
Minimum of five (05) years of relevant professional experience in a similar capacity is required. Relevant experience in Environment of Power would be an asset.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Previous experience in a similar capacity with a regional organization or an international organization;
- Proven writing and editing skills and ability to convey messages with clarity and precision;
- Good listening skills, correctly interpret messages from others and respond appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience;
- Strong research and analytical skills with ability to rapidly analyse and integrate diverse information from varied sources into conclusions and recommendations;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a willingness to work in a team environment;
- Good ability to operate under pressure and tight deadlines with accuracy and professionalism;
- Result oriented individual with ability to prioritize work to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently to efficiently meet deadlines and achieving results,
- Must be able to work effectively in a team environment and demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter;
- Excellent interpersonal and written and verbal communication skills including stakeholder relations; skills in preparing and presenting information,
- Ability to communicate effectively with internal and external constituencies,
- Demonstrates tact, discretion, ethics and openness in sharing information and keeping people informed. Remain calm in stressful situations,
- Knowledge of general communication techniques, rules, policies, processes and procedures. Shows pride in work and in achievements,
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office tools (Word processing, Excel and PowerPoint…), knowledge of desktop publishing or web content management
The incumbent must be fluent in English or French (both oral and written) with a good working knowledge of the other language. A proficiency language test in both languages will be conducted before selection.
Particular Conditions of Work:
Possible extended working hours including weekends in occasionally stressful environment
This is a USAID funded position for a period of one year, renewable. Consequently, the incumbent will be offered a One-Year Fix-Term Contract. Further extensions of the appointment are subject to the extension of the mandate, the availability of Funds and the performance of the incumbent. The WAPP Secretariat offers a competitive compensation packages comparable to those offered by similar regional/international organizations.
WAPP is an equal opportunity employer that offers equal chances to men and women. Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply. Both internal and external candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Interested applicants who meet the minimum qualifications for this position must apply online by visiting this link
- All Applications must be submitted online. Paper applications will not be accepted.
- Applications sent after the required submission deadline will not be considered.
- Only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted for the next stage of the recruitment process.
Applications for the position shall be received from 02nd November 2018 to 16th December 2018 included. The Closing date for this position is 16th December 2018 at 06:00pm, Benin local time (GMT+1).